13 fun uses for your baby monitor
Thanks to your baby you’re now the proud owner of a camera, monitor, microphone, and a pair of speakers. They let you keep an eye on your little one when you’ve got to step away, but that’s not all they’re good for!
When your baby monitor isn't busy monitoring your baby, there are a few fun ways you can make the most of your new piece of technology:
- Play Marco Polo around the house
- Play hide and seek with the speaker by putting it in weird places
- Use it for home security, especially if you’re monitor is web-enabled
- Swap baby with a teddy bear and see how long it takes your partner to notice
- Make sounds with household objects and try to guess what they are
- If you’re having a party, set up monitors in two rooms so your guests can talk to one another
- Speaking of partying, place a few monitor speakers around the living room, then play music into the receiver. Boom - now you’ve got surround sound!
- Read to baby from your book or newspaper while you lay in your own bed
- Point the video camera at a part of your baby’s body, really closeup, and see if your partner can guess it
- Use it to confuse the heck out of your dog in a different room
- Point a video camera at the TV so you don’t have to pause your show when you get up (Netflix in every room!)
- Scare the pants off your partner by sneaking into baby’s room and saying “feed me!” really loud into the monitor
- Set a camera looking at the coffee pot so you know it’s full before you get out of bed
What else can you think of?
More articles at this age
Easy, fun ways to promote wellness as a new parent
As a new parent, it's easy to get wrapped up in caring for your sleepy, poopy new best friend, but it's really important to focus on your self-care as well!
5 scrapbook-worthy new-parenting milestones
You probably know all about your baby's past and upcoming milestones, but did you ever think about your own?
How do parenting styles differ throughout the world?
Looking at certain things from a wider angle helps us get a bit of perspective, which is why it's important to sometimes take a step back and consider the grand scheme of things. Parenting styles vary widely, from town to town, state to state, continent to continent. Check out some of the different ways people around the globe bring up baby.
Do babies need darkness to sleep?
Bats are definitely creatures of the night, but what about babies? Do you need to install blackout curtains to make sure your little one keeps her eyes closed?
Benefits of reading to your baby
Just because your baby isn't talking yet, or even necessarily comprehending the words you're reading, that doesn't mean she isn't listening! Even this early, there are plenty of reasons to read to your baby.
Teaching others to tell your children apart
If you have identical twins, or just fraternal ones who look similar, think of how much trouble you might have telling your little ones apart. Now think about how much trouble OTHER people might have.